Friday, May 18, 2007

The Thrilogy

Queenstown: the birthplace of bungy jumping. AJ Hackett started a mad-craze of jumping of stuff with little more than some elastic bands tied around your feet. Appealing? Quite.

The challenge was set. Three bungy jumps, one day, a barbeque, two beers and a free t-shirt. Who's in? I know I was.

First one was the Ledge. A 47m jump above QT, the weather was spot on albeit a bit nippy. I pulled of a nice pose while jumping, one for the cameras and tomorrow's papers no doubt.

Next was the big one - the Nevis is a drop of 134m, roughly an 8 second free-fall. Count that in your head now. Go on..........it's a canny while. Was a real rush, got the adrenaline thoroughly pumping. You know that feeling in dreams when you're falling? It's like that, but actually happening.
Almost angelic.

The pod you jumped from rocked nicely in the breeze most of the time. Very very high.

The final one for the day was the measly Kawarau Bridge at 43m. As I had done this one before with Andy T it was easy-peasy - I was a pro at this stage. I did it in tandem with Rana (from work). Yipee!